Friday, September 29, 2006

Wikimapia

Today, Chris Onstad wrote a funny story about his heritage, centered around the realization that he is 1/16th Seneca Nation Indian. Many of you may not know this, but I grew up in what used to be the Seneca's summer hunting grounds. I remember my brother, Sam, used to find arrowheads all the time when he was playing in the woods. He also had a box of at least five more, which I can only assume was purchased at the local flea market by my mother. The local flea market also had a guy who sold turquoise jewelry, which my mother bought religiously to mark all religious occasions for KK and I (First communion, etc.). Part of me always wished I would have gotten the arrowheads, but years later, I still have the jewels, and the arrowheads seem to have been lost forever.

Anyway, in an attempt to try to learn more about the Seneca Indians, and to waste the 1/2 hour before the seminar this afternoon, I looked them up on Wikipedia. At the bottom of the citation, I found a link to Wikimapia which I haven't used yet. Powered by Google maps, it provides built-in squares you can click on for more information on geographic locations.

Am I the last to know of this brilliant technology? It is probably a good thing I just discovered it, because I will probably now spend hours on this, clicking on random locations, finding out more about places I want to move to next.

In my quest for locations, I eventually searched most of the Seneca and my stomping grounds in Western New York and Northern Pennsylvania, only to come back to good ol' Le' ahi. Here it is in all it's glory:

This is where I live, and tomorrow, my mother and father get to join me and K tomorrow for some fun adventures. Maybe I'll even convince my mother to take me to the local swap meet and buy me some turquoise to mark the occasion!

1 comment:

D said...

Damn you caroline, now I'm stuck in loop too. Thanks a lot.